Sunday, July 12, 2009

NetworthIQ

I added the handy NetworthIQ widget. Note: I am lazy and just threw all my stocks and bonds into the stocks line item.

So, how am I doing? Big hit late last year due to stock market, but then I got my bonus and paid off my Sallie Mae debt. The leftover student loan debt is interest free on one of my mother's credit cards. I could pay it off, but why bother? I'm earning interest on the money in the bank.

Same principle applies for my credit card debt. Not only am I earning 4% interest on my cash, but I get 2% cash back on the card. Total return from credit card spending = 6%. I know everyone says credit card arbitrage is risky, etc. but I think it's awesome. If I could get a balance transfer check without the 3% I would move the debt again when my 0% teaser interest rate is up in October.

My ultimate goal is to have $100,000 in cash. It's such a nice neat number. As of the end of June, I've got about $57,000. Almost 60% of the way to my goal. In a perfect world, I'd have this much by January 2010, but for those who don't know what happens when you plan for something, consider a line from one of my favorite poems:

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment