Saturday, July 7, 2012

Net Worth Updated

I had no idea how this would be this quarter, based on adding a big new asset and liability (apt and mortgage) and all of the big expenses like the closing costs of about $17 or $18K.  It turns out I'm down about $19K. If I had done this update even last week it would have been even more, but the market has made a nice little jump over the last few days (at least my accounts have recovered a little of their losses). The stock market remains extremely frustrating. I think if I checked my account balances now versus a few years ago, they would pretty much be the same. Which makes me think, why am I holding these stocks? I've owned the same index funds (for the most part) since 2003. 10 years. Of doing NOTHING. Now that I have a mortgage it seems it would be better served putting the money against that. But I do need some liquidity and I guess I keep hoping against hope that someday my account balances will grow.

This net worth update will be a new baseline/normal. My first quarter as a homeowner. So next quarter I will be able to see how much I am saving/any gains I am making. I shouldn't have any big expenses, just continuing to furnish the apt. but that's basically coming out of my paycheck, not savings. I'm putting off any really big projects like the built in bookshelves I've been considering.

So here's to a fun, low-key, low-spend summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment