Monday, April 19, 2010

Spending Comfort Levels

This weekend I went to brunch and then shopping with two friends. These two friends have shall we say a well-developed appreciation for the finer things in life. They think I am a total cheapskate. So we were strolling through Nolita and I saw a beautiful bag that I decided I wanted. It cost $400. To me, that number is ridiculous. But, I wanted the bag and could justify it because I knew I was getting a big tax refund this month. So I bought it. But it just did not feel right. Mostly because I thought it was too nice to really use. I would worry about ruining it and it would be impractical. So the next day I returned the bag. I did get a smaller, more practical bag that cost less (I was too scared to look at the actual price, but it started with a 2 and not a 4, but closer to a 3). And I got a pair of shorts. So I spent about the same, but on two items. This felt much better. I just thought it was funny that I felt almost physically uncomfortable spending so much money on a bag. I know my friends that I was with never have that problem. That said, it's good to splurge every once in a while, as long as its not on credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment