Saturday, October 17, 2009

School's Out!

I'm so psyched. This month I paid off my last student debt. This was a credit card debt of about $11,000 that my mom had been carrying for me interest free for I can't even remember how long -- probably 2 years.

So, this year I've paid off about $31,000 in student debt. That's great, especially since I paid very little interest on those loans (the one actual loan was $20K at 6.8% but I only accrued interest on it for about 8 months). What is depressing is realizing that my entire last year's bonus, plus a good chunk of my monthly savings this year went to pay off that debt.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to starting next year being able to keep every penny that I save! If I don't end up purchasing a house, I'd like to save $2,000 a month post-tax, in addition to maxing out my 401K with pre-tax contributions. That puts me at a savings rate of about 30%. Woo-hoo!

I've got a pyramid going with 1/3 spent post-tax, 1/3 spent on taxes and 1/3 saved. Of course I'm always looking for ways to lower the 2/3 that I don't get to keep and increase the 1/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment